Maybe it’s because we know that chill in the air will make its appearance soon, but we’re craving some of executive chef Mike Wajda’s Cream of Broccoli Soup. So much that we made him share the recipe.
Feeling inspired? Grab your apron and give this recipe a try at home. This one will surely be your go-to all season long.
Cream of Broccoli Soup with Smoked Gouda, Saffron and Roasted Garlic
6 Basil Leaves
1 Thyme Sprig
1 Tarragon Sprig
4 Garlic Cloves
1 Yellow Onion
1 Fresh Bay Leaf
1 Gram Saffron
1 Liter Heavy Cream
1 Pint Chicken Stock
5 heads of broccoli (stems only, sliced, reserve heads for garnish)
2 Grams Ras el Hanout
1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
1 Whole Calabrian Chili (from oil)
Smoked Gouda (shredded)
Chives for garnish
- Place all aromatics, saffron, onion and 1/3 of the heavy cream in a pot to steep for 15 minutes.
- In a separate pot, lightly caramelize garlic and sliced broccoli stems. Once light brown, add Ras el Hanout and lightly toast. Immediately add chicken stock to stop toasting.
- Add the remaining heavy cream and Calabrian chili and bring to a light simmer. Cook until broccoli stems are tender.
- Once the stems are tender, whisk in the shredded cheese with the burner off.
- Strain the Aromatics pot through a chinois and combine the two fortified creams.
- Using a blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish soup with broccoli heads and chives.
- Soup may be placed into a container and chilled in the refrigerator until needed.